Servings: 6 pepper halves
- 1 cup of uncooked jasmine rice, cooked per instructions
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 5 chicken Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup of baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce (divided)
- 3 bell peppers, 1 orange, 1 yellow, 1 red
- Parmesan, shredded
Prepare rice, per instructions.
While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until tender. Add the chicken Italian sausage, casings removed. Using a potato masher, mash the sausage while it cooks until crumbled. Add the minced garlic, oregano, fennel, and crushed red pepper flakes, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until sausage is cooked, stirring often. Add prepared rice, spinach, and basil along with 1 cup of marinara sauce and mix thoroughly. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large glass baking dish, add 1-1 1/2 cups of water. Cut the bell peppers in half, lengthwise, then remove the seeds. Scoop meat mixture into each pepper half until it’s heaping full and place into baking dish. Add a spoonful of the remaining marinara sauce to each pepper then top with sprinkled Parmesan cheese. Bake covered in tin foil for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 5 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve. Enjoy.
Recipe credited to PAM @ For the Love of Cooking